My Experience Without My Phone

Overall, I found the experience of not having my phone rather pleasant. It was nice to be able to disconnect from the obligations I felt to staying in contact with others. I was able to focus entirely on my work without having to stop every few minutes to answer a text. Instead of being on my phone, talking or texting, as I walked to class, I was forced to actually take note of my surroundings and think without any other distraction. When others would be on their phones before class, I had the opportunity to think about possible points of discussion instead of scrolling through my typical apps or websites. I experienced moments of zen, like when I was able to read before bed at night without the constant buzzing of my phone.

Though overall I found the experience extremely positive, there were situations where having one would have been useful. For example, when needing to get into my building and not being able to contact anyone inside. Making social plans was suddenly difficult, and I emailed my friends instead of texting them. Like Sylvia, there were moments when I felt socially disconnected because everyone else was on their phones, and I realized how we truly are in Turkle’s words, “alone together.” There were moments when I would search frantically for it, only to realize that I had handed it in. Simple tasks such as timing when to get my laundry or waking up on time in the morning suddenly posed a challenge.

I realized how much I depend on my phone for simple tasks, and after going without it for a few days, I am certainly going to try to use it less.